When did the overweight condition get to be so rampant in our society? I remember as a child, that there were virtually no “fat” kids in school. Today, obesity is everywhere in Canada and the USA. In fact, childhood obesity has quadrupled in the last 20 years.
Television advertisements are telling us that there are 3 million Canadians with Type II diabetes, which means about 1 out of every 11 Canadians. I imagine the problem is similar in the United States, but I haven’t done my research. Diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in our society and it is a direct result of our diets, and to a lesser extent exercise, sleep, and stress.
The obesity problem is not a worldwide issue. I just returned from a week in Korea and the entire population is slim. A trip to Paris a few years ago revealed a population where obesity basically didn’t exist.
So, what’s going on? We all think we know the answer, which is eat less and burn off more calories. Unfortunately, that is not the answer.
We know we are eating the wrong things, but the question is, what things? We should not be concentrating on fats and carbohydrates and fad diets. Instead, we should be concentrating on eating an alkaline diet. Why? While being overweight is something we deal with on a day to day basis, it is just an early warning system for real health issues to be faced in the future if you don’t take a stand.
It is impossible for disease to survive in an alkaline body. Our bodies can naturally process a diet that consists of up to 20% acidic foods. However, excess amounts of acids are stored as fats as a means of self preservation. So, if you want to lose weight, eat an alkaline diet. Your body will naturally begin to shed the excess acid that is stored in fat cells, and weight loss is inevitable.
Exercise plays an important role in your weight and body composition, but not nearly as much as you might think. I work out at a gym and use a personal trainer. The head of the fitness program at the gym and my trainer both tell me that 90% of weight loss comes from what you put (or don’t put) in your mouth. The other 10% of weight loss comes from exercise.
Personal trainers tell us that we should eat small meals about 6 times per day. They also tell us that people naturally lose about 1 pound of muscle per year once they hit age 40. As a result, it is very important to do some resistance (weight) training a couple of times per week as we get older. When I work out with a trainer, he doesn’t have me use large weights at all, as there are hundreds of ways to use the weight of your own body for resistance training.
The trainers emphasize the importance of eating enough protein to help your muscles repair themselves. They also emphasize the importance of proper hydration (which is where I get to teach them about the importance of drinking alkaline ionized water). Proper hydration plays a huge role in being healthy.
Here is a short form list of great foods to eat:
Vegetables (preferably the green ones)
Fruits (preferably the low sugar ones)
Nuts (preferably the low fat ones)
Meats, with emphasis on meat with a high percentage of protein
Alkaline ionized water, which reduces the acid level in your body, thereby allowing the body to eliminate stored fats
As always, the opinions in this article are those of the author and are not meant as medical advice. I strongly recommend that anyone reading this article talk to a professional nutritionist, or a naturopathic doctor, or someone with nutritional expertise to seek their advice before starting a weight loss regimen.