Heart disease, the silent killer, has been the leading cause of death in America for more than 40 years and affects more than 1 in 12 people.
Each year, more than 600,000 of the 28 million Americans who have heart disease die from heart disease, accounting for 1 out of every 4 disease related deaths.
This topic is important to me because my Mom passed away from heart disease.
What is Heart Disease?
Heart Disease, also known as Cardio Vascular Disease is actually a collection of diseases affecting the heart. Coronary Heart Disease is the most common form of heart disease and develops as plaque builds up inside the coronary arteries. Plaque build up is commonly known as atherosclerosis, which slowly blocks the delivery of oxygen rich blood to the heart.
Factors responsible for the buildup of plaque include: smoking, high levels of certain fats and cholesterol, high blood pressure, high levels of sugar in the blood, blood vessel inflammation, and oxidative stress. Controlling the contributing factors to heart disease is vital to preventing this deadly disease, and H2 can help.
10 Ways Molecular Hydrogen (H2) Helps Heart Prevent Disease:
Every item presented below has been gleaned from published scientific studies which are illustrated by the red underlined markings in studies presented in the video created by Tywon Hubbard at the end of this article.
1) Improves overall heart function: One study shows that H2 attenuated severe arrhythmias and significantly restored heart function. The study indicated that H2 prevented cardiac hypertrophy, improved cardiac function, abated oxidative stress, and suppressed inflammation (discussion starts at 2:40 in the video below)
2) Improves function of heart ventricles: One study showed an improvement of systolic pressure in the right ventricle with the administration of H2. Another study shows that H2 improved the function of a damaged left ventricle as well as exerting protective effects. Another study showed H2 reversed right ventricle hypertrophy (discussion starts at 3:32 in the video below)
3) Protects during I/R Injury: Ischemia (insufficient blood supply to an organ or body part) and Reperfusion (the act of restoring blood flow to an organ or tissue) is a common problem in heart disease. One study shows that breathing H2 + NO gas exhibited myocardial (muscle tissue in the heart) protection against ischemia-induced injury. The study concluded that H2 reduced infarction (obstruction of blood supply to an organ) size and maintained cardiac function inferring that the use of NO + H2 gas may be useful in planned coronary interventions. Another study concluded that hydrogen- rich saline is a novel, simple, safe, and effective method of reducing myocardial I/R injury (discussion starts at 3:47 in the video below)
4) Reduces cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis: Cardiac Hypertrophy (abnormal enlargement of heart tissue from the increased size of its cells) is considered to be an adaptive response required to sustain cardiac output in response to stress, but sustained cardiac hypertrophy eventually leads to congestive heart failure, arrhythmia, and sudden death. One study concludes that heart failure is often preceded by left ventricular hypertrophy. The results of the study indicated that the administration of H2 prevented cardiac hypertrophy and improved cardiac function. Another study indicated that H2 significantly attenuated cardiac hypertrophy and alleviated cardiac fibrosis. Yet another study shows that the inhalation of H2 gas prevented hypertrophy and fibrosis in the left ventricle (discussion starts at 5:37 in the video below)
5) Improves atherosclerosis: Atherosclerosis is the end result of the buildup of fats, cholesterol and other substances in an on the artery walls. It is the primary cause of heart disease and stroke and is the underlying cause of half of the deaths in the USA. One study states: “Because human atherosclerosis is primarily a consequence of vessel wall inflammation, hydrogen administration may thus represent a useful therapeutic strategy for avoiding or treating atherosclerosis. Another study found that the consumption of H2 water reduced atherosclerotic lesions and decreased oxidative stress of the aorta and the researchers behind the study suggested that H2 dissolved water has the potential to prevent atherosclerosis. Yet another study suggested that the continual consumption of hydrogen water decreased oxidative stress and prevented the formation of atherosclerosis.
Another human study suggested the potential role of H2 in the regression of hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis and that H2 water may prevent of delay the development and progression of both diseases (discussion starts at 6:50 in the video below).
6) Reduces high blood pressure: There is a strong association of elevated blood pressure and cardio-vascular disease mortality. A study shows that LVSP (Left Ventricular Systolic Pressure) and LVDP (Left Ventricular Diastolic Pressure) were significantly improved with H2 administration. A published review paper suggests that H2 enriched water decreases systolic blood pressure. Another study concluded that H2 consumption is helpful in the recovery of systolic blood pressure. Another study showed that after treatment of hydrogen, high blood pressure generally decreased for patients and some patients reached normotensive status. The study concluded that H2 was able to quell inflammation and improve blood pressure (discussion starts at 8:19 in the video below)
7) Normalizes cholesterol levels: HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) are the “good” cholesterol while LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins) are the “bad” cholesterol. High levels of HDL reduce the risk of heart disease as they scavenge LDL’s. One study shows that H2 deceases overall cholesterol levels (a good thing), decreases plasma oxidative stress, and decreases inflammatory status. Another study indicates that H2 decreases LDL levels and improve HDL functions. Another human study showed that consumption of H2 water increased LDL levels by 8% while decreasing total cholesterol by 13% over a four week period (discussion starts at 9:24 in the video below)
8) Reduces blood sugar: which protects the body from damage caused by high blood sugar levels including cardiovascular disease. A comprehensive study concluded that drinking H2 water decreased levels of plasma glucose, insulin, triglycerides to levels achieved through diet restriction. Another study showed that the intake of H2 water normalized the oral glucose tolerance test in 2/3 of the patients tested and concluded that H2 intake may be beneficial in the prevention of insulin resistance. The study concluded that H2 consumption not only reduces DNA damage of injured cells and inhibits the death process. Another study found that consumption of H2 water lowered the blood glucose levels of participants with abnormally high blood glucose levels while the water didn’t reduce the blood glucose levels of participants with normal blood glucose levels (discussion starts at 10:41 in the video below)
9) Protects blood vessels: Endothelial dysfunction causes accumulation of vascular damage and induces chronic inflammation followed by atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. A study shows that H2 water is expected to prevent vascular shear stress from triggering endothelial dysfunction
(discussion starts at 12.08 in the video below)
10) Has recovery benefits after cardiac arrest: H2 inhalation has recently been approved as a medical procedure for post cardiac arrest syndrome in Japanese hospitals. Before you discount the “Japanese” aspect of the approval, you should know that the Japanese medical system is extremely conservative and the approval simply means they are more advanced than America in the study of H2.
(discussion starts at 12:47 in the video below)
The following video created by Tywon Hubbard illustrates every research paper and statement referred to above. Please watch this important video when you have the time.
Consuming hydrogen rich water on a regular basis should be part of everyone’s daily routine.